Recently we had posted an article on How to Download Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10051 for PC users. Now it is time for the Windows Phone users as well to upgrade their smartphone’s operating system. You can download or upgrade the new Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones very easily.
Microsoft has released the update for most of the LUMIA devices and they’re running pretty smoothly and even the users have given positive reviews regarding it. Generally Microsoft tries to keep its desktop users and phone users to have different feelings on the operating system but this time they have decided to provide the same core platform (UI, features, etc) of Windows 10 to computers, tablets and phones, so you will be noticing many similarities between Windows 10 Technical Preview for both desktop and phones.
Well if you are planning to be one of the Windows 10 Technical Preview Users for Windows Phone then you can directly head over the the tutorial on how to download the new update below.
How to Download Windows 10 Technical Preview on your Windows Phone :
STEP 1: Check Supported Phone Models List
At the moment you can install Windows 10 Technical Preview build in following mobile phones only:[su_quote]
- Lumia 520, 525, 526, 530, 530 Dual Sim, 535
- Lumia 620, 625, 630, 630 Dual Sim, 635, 636, 638
- Lumia 720, 730, 730 Dual SIM, 735
- Lumia 810, 820, 822, 830
- Lumia 920, 925, 928
- Lumia 1020, 1320, 1520
- Microsoft Lumia 430, 435, 435 Dual SIM, 435 Dual SIM DTV
- Microsoft Lumia 532, 532 Dual SIM, 535 Dual SIM
- Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual SIM
If your device is listed above then you can follow the next step. Also you will have to keep one thing in mind is that your windows phone should have at least 8 GB of storage free and it must be running on Windows Phone 8.1
STEP 2: Join Windows Insider Program
If your Windows phone is on the supported phones list, you can download and install Windows 10 Technical Preview build by first joining Windows Insider program:
Good luck that your windows phone is listed on the supported phone list, now you can download the Windows 10 Technical Preview by joining Windows Insider Program. If you have already registered for it then you do not have to go through the entire registration process. If not then you can simply sign in with your existing Microsoft Account or the Live Account.
STEP 3: Register Phone to Receive Windows 10 Build as OTA Update
Once you have completed the registration process of Windows Insider Program you will have to download the app for your windows phone as well.
[appbox windowsphone ed2b1421-6414-4544-bd8d-06d58ee402a5]
STEP 4: Download Windows 10 Technical Preview Build for Phones
After installing the Windows Insider Program app you will have to sign in with your Microsoft account. Now the Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phone update will be available for download. Follow the instructions provided withe the update, your phone will not respond or the screen might flash many times while the update is going on and it might even restart several times.
Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones Highlighted Features:
The first preview build of Windows 10 for phones comes with many new features and enhancements. Some worth to mention features are as following:
- New option to set full-size background image for Start Screen
- More quick actions in Action Center which can be expanded up to 3 rows
- New interactive notifications which allow you to take direct actions
- Enhancements to speech-to-text capability
- Enhancements to Photos app
- Cortana available to US-English only
Whats new in build 10051 ?
- Project Spartan: Microsoft has included the much awaited Spartan web browser in this new build of Windows 10 for phones.
- Outlook Mail
- Outlook Calendar
- Phone and Messaging apps
- People (Contacts)
- Maps (Bing maps and HERE maps)
- Updated App Switcher (Press and hold Back button on your phone)
Bugs fixed in this update
- New updated layout of keyboard which now has period, comma and emoji keys on first page of keyboard. Language switching can be enabled by press-and-hold on the &123 key. There is also an option to replace the emoji key with the language switching key.
- [Fixed] Cortana icon resolution to scale with tile size.
- [Fixed] Photos app failed to launch periodically when attempting to add a photo attachment to an email, OneNote or Facebook item.
- [Fixed] Microsoft Band was not syncing with your phone after upgrading to Windows 10.
- Photos app’s tile now picks up phone’s theme color before it’s launched and then start showing pictures from your collection including OneDrive in the Live tile.
Bugs found in this update so far
- Sometimes auto-upload of your Camera Roll to One Drive may not work.
- The Office Hub has been removed from this build so you won’t be able to open Word, Excel, PowerPoint or One Note files in this build.
- All Bluetooth-based interactions with Cortana will not work in this build.
- After upgrade, some apps installed onto a SD memory card will fail to launch. To fix this, uninstall and reinstall the apps.
- Sometimes incoming phone calls may not play a ringing sound.
- Call + SMS filtering will not work after upgrade.
- After upgrade, your phone’s MMS settings will be lost because the new Messaging app doesn’t yet have the ability to re-enter these settings.
- After upgrade, Camera and Photos tiles on Start screen may be missing or corrupt. You will have to unpin any corrupt tiles and re-pin the apps to your Start screen.
- On some phones, due to a scaling bug the dismiss button won’t be visible when an alarm is triggered. To stop your phone from alarming, just touch the arrow and swipe up on the notification and off the screen to end the alarm.
- On phones with 512MB of memory, apps can randomly crash due to an issue with memory management.
- Flight mode cannot be enabled.
- Data connections cannot be disabled.
- You may need to re-pin the Phone app after upgrade.
- The Insider Hub is now included on Phone but may fail to launch on some phones.
Remember this is the Technical Preview for Windows Phone, like the desktop version this will also get future updates soon with fixes and new features.
Supported languages in Windows 10 Technical Preview for Phones:
Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones comes with support for following languages:
Arabic (Saudi Arabia), Catalan (Spain), Czech (Czech Republic), Dutch (Netherlands), English (UK), English (US), Finnish (Finland), French (Canada), French (France), German (Germany), Hindi (India), Italian (Italy), Japanese (Japan), Korean (Korea), Polish (Poland), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian (Russia), Simplified Chinese (China), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Mexico/LatAm), Swedish (Sweden), Thai (Thailand), Traditional Chinese (Taiwan), Turkish (Turkey) and Vietnamese (Vietnam).